Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sontag

After reading On photography by Susan Sontag, she let her readers see beneath the photographs by illustrating what we see when we look at photographs. Sontag also introduce the concept of a visual code which have alter and enlarge our notions of what is worth looking at and what we have the right to observe. The perspective she provided gave me a greater appreciation of photographs, there essential and value to society is infinite.

It is amazing how far photography has come along and become so intertwine in our society given that it only been around for a hundred and fifty years. Sontag illustrate how life would be without these devices, for instances she explain that the wedding photo has become apart of the ceremony. The graduation of a child is another example of how cameras have become mandatory when taking parts in these invents.

Sontag also compares and contrast moving images and still images. Sontag believes that photographs are more memorable because”they are a neat slice of time not a flow.” I found this to be true I have old pictures and old movies, but I found it easier to throw old movies away than old pictures especially if it was given to me. I also view older pictures more than I would view an older movie I always get the feeling that the older movie leaves something out or the content leaves nothing to interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment